Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Autofoam, Part 1

DESMOND Chong, who needs not introduction into the chassis tuning industry, has given me the privilege to review his main best-selling product, Autofoam.

DAIHATSU Charade, my personal car, who needs not introduction into the car industry, has been with me for 13 years.

Starting off with my car, I had issues with tire noise since I-Dont-Know-When and had been doing a lot of R&D with soundproofing, noise dampening, insulation, vibration dampening. I have done extensive DIY soundproofing from applying bitumen onto my floorboard and boot area along with a layer of Insuflex for the past 3 years.
To my suprise, it has given me minimal, if not, results not up to my expectation.

Oh my, I realise all my hard work, sweat, and tears has not been paid off every time when I'm done with my DIY jobs when I go for test drives and still hear the same amount of tire and wind noise. Nevermind the engine and exhaust note.

Finally, after setting aside a small budget aside and much hesitation, I sent my ar to Desmond. He got his guy to do a test drive and came to a conclusion that the tire noise is coming through the bottom door sills and subframes.

The theory to his conclusion was :

The tire noise was amplified through the hollow sections of my chassis. Take a cave for example, shout through it and you'll hear an echo following.

So, this was what's happening to my entire car. This proves that although my car is filled with bitumen and insulflex on the floorboard and doors, noise is still penetrating into the cabin!


My car is known to be noisier compared to other sedans and hatchback for no appratent reason. It's been driving me crazy everytime I travel back to my hometown on the East Coast Expressway.


-to be continued-

No comments:

Post a Comment